SEW A PRETTY PARTY DRESS
A favourite of our founder Tilly, the Martha dress is a contemporary update on the fit-and-flare style. It features a high neckband, flattering princess seam panels, a bias-cut flared skirt and closes with an invisible zip at centre back. Choose from short sleeves or three-quarter length bell sleeves, with knee-length or mini hemline. It's great for twirling!
Wear Martha to work or to play, with sunglasses and wedges in the Summer, or with knitted tights and boots in the winter.
Like all Tilly and the Buttons sewing patterns, Martha includes easy-to-follow instructions with photos showing you how to sew each step – making it easy for you to create gorgeous clothes you can be proud to say you made yourself.
PRINTED PATTERN - You’ll receive a gorgeous printed package in the post containing full-scale pattern sheets and a colour instruction booklet. (Alternatively, you can order the digital version to print and assemble at home, or have the copy shop A0 option printed.)
SKILL LEVEL - Improvers
BONUS TUTORIALS - Find help with choosing fabric and fitting adjustments on our blog.
FABRIC SUGGESTIONS – Light- to medium-weight fabrics, such as viscose (rayon), silk or polyester crêpe de chine, cotton lawn, chambray, broderie anglaise, double knit with a little stretch, lighter weight wool. Avoid directional prints as the skirt is cut on the bias (at an angle). How about adding a lace trim to the bodice or piping the princess seams?
- Fabric - Mini length – 2.9m (3 1/8 yards) x 150cm (60in) wide / 3.5m (3 7/8 yards) x 115cm (45in) wide; Knee length – 3.4m (3 3/4 yards) x 150cm (60in) wide / 4.2m (4 5/8 yards) x 115cm (45in) wide (0.2m / ¼ yard less for short sleeve version)
- Matching thread
- 56cm (22in) invisible zip
- 0.25m (1/4 yard) iron-on interfacing – similar weight to your fabric
- For collar: 1 rounded or fabric-covered button + elasticated hair band or 8cm (3in) piece of narrow ribbon
- Sewing machine and basic tools, including an invisible zip foot
SIZES (Body measurements)
Pattern sizes below are not applicable to the maternity patterns.
|1 (UK 6 / US 2 / EUR 34)||76cm (30in)||61cm (24in)||84cm (33in)|
|2 (UK 8 / US 4 / EUR 36)||81cm (32in)||66cm (26in)||89cm (35in)|
|3 (UK 10 / US 6 / EUR 38)||86.5cm (34in)||71cm (28in)||94cm (37in)|
|4 (UK 12 / US 8 / EUR 40)||91.5cm (36in)||76cm (30in)||99cm (39in)|
|5 (UK 14 / US 10 / EUR 42)||96.5cm (38in)||81cm (32in)||104cm (41in)|
|6 (UK 16 / US 12 / EUR 44)||101.5cm (40in)||86.5cm (34in)||109cm (43in)|
|7 (UK 18 / US 14 / EUR 46)||106.5cm (42in)||91.5cm (36in)||114cm (45in)|
|8 (UK 20 / US 16 / EUR 48)||112cm (44in)||96.5cm (38in)||119.5cm (47in)|
|9 (UK 22 / US 18 / EUR 50)||117cm (46in)||101.5cm (40in)||124.5cm (49in)|
|10 (UK 24 / US 20 / EUR 52)||122cm (48in)||106.5cm (42in)||129.5cm (51in)|
*Sizes 9 and 10 available on Stevie and Indigo sewing patterns only*
Orders by post
|To the UK:||To Europe:||To North America:||To the rest of the world:|
|1 pattern or bag or buckles||£1.50||£4.50||£5.00||£5.50|
|2 patterns or bags||£2.00||£6.00||£6.50||£7.00|
|3 or more patterns or bags||£2.50||£7.50||£8.00||£8.50|
|1 book + 1-4 patterns or bags||£3.00||£8.50||£9.00||£10.00|
|1 Eden kit||£7.50||£20.00||£20.00||£20.00|
Christmas posting dates
We use Royal Mail to ship our orders and the last recommended posting dates to guarantee you receive your sewing goodies by Christmas are:
- Australia, Middle and Far East (excluding Hong Kong and Singapore), New Zealand, and all other non-European destinations (excluding Canada, South Africa and USA): Saturday 5 October 2019
- Canada, Hong Kong, Singapore, South Africa, USA: Saturday 12 October 2019
- Cyprus, Eastern Europe, Greece, Iceland, Malta, Turkey: Saturday 2 November 2019
- Western Europe: Saturday 16 November
- UK: Wednesday 18 December
Receiving digital patterns
Digital patterns are PDF files delivered to your email instantly, ready for you to print at home (or at the office – ssshhh!) on A4 or US Letter paper. You will also receive the copy shop A0 files for large format printing.