LEARN A NEW SKILL
This online workshop will get you comfortable and confident using a sewing machine.
Whether you’ve never touched a sewing machine before, or want to refresh the basics, our friendly and practical course will take you step by step through the fundamentals. Learn the essential skills to get started!
Sewing machine – don’t worry if you don’t yet have one, there’s a lesson covering what to look for when buying a machine. We cover both mechanical and digital, front-loading and top-loading models.
Scrap fabric to practice stitching on, and nice fabric to make a scarf (130cm/50in X 15cm/6in)
Basic sewing toolkit – a supplies list is included in the workshopComputer / tablet / smart phone and an internet connection to stream the videos from.
That’s up to you! The course is broken down into manageable, bitesize lessons that you can take at a pace that suits you. It includes 17 videos, from 4 to 35 minutes long, plus extra written tuition and downloadable resources. You may like to spread the lessons out over a few evenings or set aside a weekend for a binge sewing session.
This online workshop contains fully captioned video lessons, written tuition and downloadable resourses.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN
GET TO KNOW YOUR SEWING MACHINE
- What to look for in a sewing machine
- Get to know your machine (mechanical + digital)
- Set it up, change the needle, and use the presser foot
- Change the stitch length and type
- Which essential tools we recommend
THREAD YOUR SEWING MACHINE
- How to thread your machine up properly, every time!
- Wind the bobbin and thread the spool
- Tips and tricks for threading the needle
- Perfect threading on both front-loading and top-loading sewing machines
GET TO GRIPS WITH STITCHING
- Sewing straight lines with confidence
- How to navigate curves and corners
- Use the seam allowance guide to sew fabric together
- How to change the speed and sew backwards
SEW A SIMPLE SCARF
- Sew an easy peasy project
- Cut, pin and sew fabric together to make a scarf
- Neaten your seams with an iron
- We've included a cute scarf pattern you can tie around your hair, neck or bag!
TROUBLESHOOTING YOUR SEWING
- Diagnose and fix common sewing machine issues
- How to prevent jams, knots, unthreading, snapped needles and uneven stitching
- How to clean your sewing machine to keep it in top condition
- Fix mistakes quickly and get on with your sewing!
Follow an in-depth programme, structured with our trusted format.
See the sewing in detail with our video lessons!
Learn at a pace that suits you, any time of day, with no deadlines.
Set your own timetable!
LEARN AT HOME
Take the workshop from the comfort of your own home, using your own sewing machine.
There's no need to travel to a class or book a date in your busy diary!
Revisit the lessons as often as you like, whenever you need a refresher -
for a fraction of the price of attending a face-to-face class!
WHO IS THIS WORKSHOP FOR?
You’ve never touched a sewing machine before and you're eager to start making
You’ve sewn a bit in the past and fancy a refresher class to get you back into it
You’re frustrated with your machine and need troubleshooting tips to move forward
You’ve attended a beginner sewing class and want a resource to reference at home
MEET YOUR INSTRUCTOR
Tilly Walnes is a best-selling sewing author, teacher and founder of Tilly and the Buttons. She has been writing about sewing, designing and teaching for over a decade.
Named 'Most Inspirational Sewing Personality' in the British Sewing Awards, Tilly’s teaching is down-to-earth, encouraging and packed full of helpful tips. She loves sewing, and wants you to love it too!
The workshop is perfectly structured and so much fun! Thank you Tilly for taking me through the first steps of my sewing journey - who knew that just a few months later I would be making beautiful dresses and skirts!Hollie
Any question I had as a complete beginner was answered as I worked through the lessons. The videos and downloads meant that I could take my time with each step and build confidence.Laura Victoria
The video tutorials were a great confidence boost. Tilly's knowledge shone through and put me at complete ease. I thought, 'I could do that' and it turned out I could. I'm so happy I took this workshop!Katie
Sign Up Today
MAKE FRIENDS WITH A SEWING MACHINE
Instant, on-demand access
8 video lessons
Closed captions available on all videos
Written tuition + downloadable resources
Two course bundle + Learn to sew an easy skirt
Instant on-demand access to:
• Make Friends with a Sewing Machine
• Learn to Sew an Easy Skirt
Dominique skirt PDF sewing pattern in sizes UK6-20 / US2-16 / EUR34-48
19 video lessons
Written tuition + downloadable resources
Great value! £84 if purchased individually