GET TO GRIPS WITH THE FUNDAMENTALS
This online workshop will start you off with sewing your own handmade wardrobe.
If you can use a sewing machine then you're ready to start making your own clothes! This online workshop will take you step by step through what you need to know. This isn’t just the theory – you’ll learn as you sew!
The Dominique Skirt pattern is included with this workshop.
• Sewing machine
• Basic sewing toolkit
• Computer / tablet / smart phone and an internet connection to stream the videos
That’s up to you! The course is broken down into manageable, bitesize lessons that you can take at a pace that suits you. It includes 11 videos, from 3 to 13 minutes long, plus extra written tuition and downloadable resources. You may like to spread the lessons out over a few evenings or set aside a weekend for a binge sewing session.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN
START USING SEWING PATTERNS
- How to take your measurements and choose your size
- What to do if you’re between sizes, a different proportion, or need a bigger size
- Understand pattern markings such as notches and grainline arrows
MARK + CUT FABRIC ACCURATELY
- How to lay out the fabric and pattern
- Using patterns on the straight grain and the bias
- Tips for accurate fabric cutting
- Learn to cut fabric without damaging the pattern
- How to transfer pattern markings and notches
THE ESSENTIALS OF CLOTHING CONSTRUCTION
- Get your head around how garments come together
- Techniques for pinning and stitching seams together
- How to stabilise bias-cut edges to stop stretching
FINISH YOUR SEAMS
- Make the inside of your skirt look neat and tidy
- Learn to finish seams on your regular machine, using zigzag stitch
- Practise pressing techniques to give your skirt a professional finish
MAKE YOUR OWN SKIRT
- Sew an easy peasy straight skirt with a free skirt pattern
- Progress to making a bias-cut flared skirt
- How to make an elasticated waistband – no need for fiddly zips or buttonholes!
- Learn two methods of hemming
- How to ease in a flared hem
STYLE YOUR SKIRT
- Make a matching sash to tie around your skirt
- Find out an easy peasy way of making belt loops
- Create, topstitch and reinforce turnover top pockets
Follow an in-depth programme, structured with our trusted format.
See the sewing in detail with our video lessons!
Learn at a pace that suits you, any time of day, with no deadlines.
Set your own timetable!
LEARN AT HOME
Take the workshop from the comfort of your own home, using your own sewing machine.
There's no need to travel to a class or book a date in your busy diary!
Revisit the lessons as often as you like, whenever you need a refresher -
for a fraction of the price of attending a face-to-face class!
WHO IS THIS WORKSHOP FOR?
You’ve just learnt to use a sewing machine and are ready to start making clothes
You’ve sewn a bit in the past and fancy a refresher class to get you back into it
You’ve attended a beginner class and want a resource you can refer to at home
You love making quilts and cushions but are scared of sewing clothes
MEET YOUR INSTRUCTOR
Tilly Walnes is a best-selling sewing author, teacher and founder of Tilly and the Buttons. She has been writing about sewing, designing and teaching for over a decade.
Named 'Most Inspirational Sewing Personality' in the British Sewing Awards, Tilly’s teaching is down-to-earth, encouraging and packed full of helpful tips. She loves sewing, and wants you to love it too!
The workshop is perfectly structured and so much fun! Thank you Tilly for taking me through the first steps of my sewing journey - who knew that just a few months later I would be making beautiful dresses and skirts!Hollie
Any question I had as a complete beginner was answered as I worked through the lessons. The videos and downloads meant that I could take my time with each step and build confidence.Laura Victoria
The video tutorials were a great confidence boost. Tilly's knowledge shone through and put me at complete ease. I thought, 'I could do that' and it turned out I could. I'm so happy I took this workshop!Katie