Possibly the easiest sewing pattern in the world!
Sew your own Dominique skirts - the ideal project for a novice stitcher or a satisfying one hour make for more experienced dressmakers.
We designed the straight skirt to be super simple for beginners. It features straight seams to practise your stitching and an elasticated waistband for an easy fit - with no fiddly zips or buttonholes! Choose from knee-length or above-the-knee hemline, and add the optional turnover top patch pockets.
The flared version of the skirt is slightly more challenging, as it's cut on the bias and we suggest a drapier fabric for a flowing silhouette. Choose from knee-length or on-trend midi hemline, with optional turnover top pockets, belt loops and elegant sash.
Like all Tilly and the Buttons sewing patterns, Dominique includes instructions in plain English, helpful sewing tips, and colour photos showing you each step – making it easy for you to create gorgeous clothes you can be proud to say you made yourself.
Need more help? Take our accompanying online workshop, Learn to Sew Skirts!
PRINTED PATTERN - You’ll receive a gorgeous printed package in the post containing full-scale pattern sheets and a colour instruction booklet. (Alternatively, you can order the digital version to print and assemble at home or have the copy shop A0 option printed.)
SKILL LEVEL - Beginners
ONLINE WORKSHOP - Sign up for our online workshop - Learn to Sew Skirts - and choose from a printed or digital pattern included in the course materials.
FABRIC SUGGESTIONS - Straight skirt – Medium-weight woven fabrics, such as cotton, chambray, double gauze, linen, lighter weight denim and needlecord. Flared skirt – Light- to medium-weight drapey fabrics, such as cotton lawn, chambray, viscose (rayon), silk or polyester crêpe de chine. Avoid anything slippery if you’re a beginner!
- Fabric - Straight skirt with pockets: 1.1m (1 ¼ yards) x 150cm (60in) wide OR 1.5m (1 5/8 yards) x 115cm (45in) wide; Flared midi skirt with sash: 2.5m (2 3/4 yards) x 150cm (60in) wide OR 3.3m (3 ⅝ yards) x 115cm (45in) wide (less for knee-length version, extra for fabric with a directional print)
- Matching thread
- Your waist measurement in 25mm (1in) wide elastic
- Large safety pin
- For optional belt loops: 14cm (5 1/2in) of 4-7mm (1/8-3/8in) wide ribbon or two elasticated hairbands
- Sewing machine and basic tools
SIZES (Body measurements)
Pattern sizes below are not applicable to the maternity patterns.
|1 (UK 6 / US 2 / EUR 34)||76cm (30in)||61cm (24in)||84cm (33in)|
|2 (UK 8 / US 4 / EUR 36)||81cm (32in)||66cm (26in)||89cm (35in)|
|3 (UK 10 / US 6 / EUR 38)||86.5cm (34in)||71cm (28in)||94cm (37in)|
|4 (UK 12 / US 8 / EUR 40)||91.5cm (36in)||76cm (30in)||99cm (39in)|
|5 (UK 14 / US 10 / EUR 42)||96.5cm (38in)||81cm (32in)||104cm (41in)|
|6 (UK 16 / US 12 / EUR 44)||101.5cm (40in)||86.5cm (34in)||109cm (43in)|
|7 (UK 18 / US 14 / EUR 46)||106.5cm (42in)||91.5cm (36in)||114cm (45in)|
|8 (UK 20 / US 16 / EUR 48)||112cm (44in)||96.5cm (38in)||119.5cm (47in)|
|9 (UK 22 / US 18 / EUR 50)||117cm (46in)||101.5cm (40in)||124.5cm (49in)|
|10 (UK 24 / US 20 / EUR 52)||122cm (48in)||106.5cm (42in)||129.5cm (51in)|
*Sizes 9 and 10 available with the Stevie and Indigo sewing patterns only*
Orders by post
|To the UK:||To Europe:||To North America:||To the rest of the world:|
|1 pattern or bag or buckles||£1.50||£4.50||£5.00||£5.50|
|2 patterns or bags||£2.00||£6.00||£6.50||£7.00|
|3 or more patterns or bags||£2.50||£7.50||£8.00||£8.50|
|1 book + 1-4 patterns or bags||£3.00||£8.50||£9.00||£10.00|
|1 Eden kit||£7.50||£20.00||£20.00||£20.00|
Christmas posting dates
We use Royal Mail to ship our orders and the last recommended posting dates to guarantee you receive your sewing goodies by Christmas are:
- Australia, Middle and Far East (excluding Hong Kong and Singapore), New Zealand, and all other non-European destinations (excluding Canada, South Africa and USA): Saturday 5 October 2019
- Canada, Hong Kong, Singapore, South Africa, USA: Saturday 12 October 2019
- Cyprus, Eastern Europe, Greece, Iceland, Malta, Turkey: Saturday 2 November 2019
- Western Europe: Saturday 16 November
- UK: Wednesday 18 December
Receiving digital patterns
Digital patterns are PDF files delivered to your email instantly, ready for you to print at home (or at the office – ssshhh!) on A4 or US Letter paper. You will also receive the copy shop A0 files for large format printing.