Part time: 3 days per week
Salary: £20,000 per annum pro rata
Contract: Fixed term contract for 6 months, with the possibility of extension
Probationary period: 3 months
Location: West Norwood/West Dulwich, London
ABOUT THE COMPANY
Tilly and the Buttons designs and sells gorgeous and easy-to-use guides to sewing your own clothes. We aim to make clothes-making accessible and enjoyable for modern crafters, including for people who are new to sewing.
We design a line of award-winning sewing patterns, sold through our online shop and to wholesale customers around the world, from independent haberdasheries to larger retailers such as John Lewis and Liberty of London. We also teach dressmaking workshops online through video lessons. Our founder is the author of the award-winning and best-selling sewing book Love at First Stitch, which has been published in ten international editions. We enjoy interacting online with a friendly and engaged community of makers, and our blog is visited more than 3 million times a year by sewing enthusiasts across the globe.
You will be joining the company at an exciting time of growth, working with a small and friendly team in a bright and airy studio in South London.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are seeking a helpful and diligent Office Assistant to get orders out to our customers, keep the studio organised and assist the team with a range of tasks.
The ideal candidate will have a positive, can-do attitude, a love of being helpful, and will be enthusiastic and self-motivated even when doing repetitive tasks. They’ll be a whizz at stuffing envelopes, efficient at collating, and a stickler for keeping things clean, tidy and organised. Please note – this is not a creative job, rather it’s an essential job in a creative company.
This is a part time role, 3 days per week, preferably Monday, Wednesday and Friday (with a possibility of spreading the hours across the week depending on your other commitments). You would also be required to work occasional weekends at retail and trade shows, including this September. The job is based in our studio near West Norwood and West Dulwich stations (no virtual assistant applications, please).
The main responsibilities of the role include:
- Processing orders from our online shop using Shopify, Excel and Word
- Packing and dispatching orders for our customers (including light manual work lifting boxes up to 15kg)
- Booking couriers and packing wholesale orders for our stockists
- Cutting fabric and putting together sewing kits
- Running errands, such as taking parcels to the post office and shopping for supplies
- Tidying and cleaning the studio
- Receiving deliveries and stocking shelves
- Representing the brand and selling to customers at retail and trade shows
- Deputising for the Office Manager when necessary, including responding to customer service emails
- Assisting the Director and team with other tasks as required, such as updating the Maker Gallery, online research, setting up shows, and potentially assisting with sewing and pattern production dependent on skills
- A positive, helpful attitude and willingness to undertake a range of repetitive tasks
- Organised, efficient and speedy at stuffing envelopes
- Good working knowledge of Excel and Word and the ability to use a Mac
- Accuracy and attention to detail – including checking for typos, ensuring orders are collated and labelled correctly, and cutting fabric
- Able to lift boxes up to 15kg
- A love of keeping things clean, tidy and organised
- Willingness to work in a flexible manner, including occasional weekend work for events, and undertake other duties as reasonably required
- A sense of humour and enjoyment in work
DESIRABLE EXTRAS (ie. these skills would be a bonus but aren’t required)
- Sewing skills
- Ability to do basic photo editing and collages in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements
- A good understanding of social media, particularly Instagram
- Experience delivering great customer service
HOW TO APPLY
Please email email@example.com with two attachments (Word or PDF):
1) A covering letter (1–2 pages max) describing:
- How you meet the essential requirements (and any desirable extras) of the post
- Why you would love the job
- What days you’re available to work and when you’re able to start
2) Your CV outlining any relevant training and experience, including email and phone number contacts for two referees. Ideally we would like to talk to referees before a final decision is made, so please indicate whether we can contact either referee before a job offer is confirmed.
The deadline to submit your application is 9am GMT on Monday 3rd July 2017.
If you’re shortlisted, you’ll be invited to an interview and/or a trial on Wednesday 5th July, so please keep this day free.
If you're interested in an internship, please email jobs [at] tillyandthebuttons.com with your CV and a covering letter explaining why you would like to intern with us and what you would be interested in doing.
As part of a busy office, interns help us out with a variety of essential tasks, from packing orders to online research, to editing photos and updating the Maker Gallery, assisting with pattern production and photo shoots. Please note - only a small proportion of the work will be "creative".
Internships are usually with us 2 days per week for 3 months. They are unpaid, but we offer expenses for lunch and travel within London.