TAKE YOUR SKILLS UP A NOTCH
Learn fundamental dressmaking skills that you’ll use again and again.
This isn’t just the theory – you’ll learn as you sew while making an elegant, fitted dress. These are valuable dressmaking skills you'll use again and again.
The Etta Dress pattern is included with this workshop.
• Sewing machine
• Sewing toolkit – supplies list included in the workshop
• Fabric and supplies for your Etta dress listed here
• Computer, tablet or smart phone with internet access to stream the video lessons
That’s up to you!
The course is broken down into manageable, bitesize lessons that you can take at a pace that suits you. It includes 13 videos, from 3 to 35 minutes long, plus extra written tuition and downloadable resources.
You may like to spread the lessons out over a few evenings or set aside a weekend for a binge sewing session.
This online workshop contains fully captioned video lessons, written tuition and downloadable resourses.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN
SEW YOUR OWN BEAUTIFUL DRESS
- Step-by-step lessons on making an elegant fitted dress from start to finish
- Try three-quarter length darted sleeves or self-lined cap sleeves with bound armholes
- Choose from high back or V-back neckline, both shaped with shoulder darts
- Create a stunning V-back collar
- How to add cute faux pocket flaps at the waistline
- Learn to make a kick pleat at the back for ease of movement
FIT THE DRESS TO YOUR SHAPE
- How to choose and combine sizes to fit your proportions
- Understand why and how to make a toile or muslin
- Learn how to adjust the toile to fit your unique body shape
- How to make common fitting adjustments
CUT AND STABILISE YOUR FABRIC
- Cut your fabric – both on straight and bias grains
- Learn to cut out fabric without messing up the pattern
- Stop curved and diagonal edges stretching out of shape with staystitching
- Add structure to the parts that need it with interfacing
GARMENT CONSTRUCTION TECHNIQUES
- Pin and stitch seams together accurately
- Practise sewing softly shaped darts on the bust, waist, shoulders and elbow
- Tips for matching up seam lines perfectly
- Create a tidy neckline finish with a facing
- Neaten the inside of your dress using the zigzag stitch
- How to stitch in the ditch to hide stitches within a seam
- Learn to understitch facings to keep them hidden on the inside of your dress
GET TO GRIPS WITH ZIPS
- Learn to insert an invisible zip that’s truly invisible
- Find out how to avoid rippled zip seams and bubbles
- Learn tricks for keeping waistline seams neatly aligned
- Overcome your fear of sewing zips forever!
INSERT TWO TYPES OF SLEEVE
- Create shaping at the shoulder with ease stitching
- Learn to set in sleeves neatly
- Find out how to construct elegant self-lined cap sleeves
- Finish armholes with bias binding
- Learn to sew barely visible slip stitches
Follow an in-depth programme, structured with our trusted format.
See the sewing in detail with our video lessons!
Learn at a pace that suits you, any time of day, with no deadlines.
Set your own timetable!
LEARN AT HOME
Take the workshop from the comfort of your own home, using your own sewing machine.
There's no need to travel to a class or book a date in your busy diary!
Revisit the lessons as often as you like, whenever you need a refresher -
for a fraction of the price of attending a face-to-face class!
WHO IS THIS WORKSHOP FOR?
You’ve sewn a few things already and you're eager to learn new skills
You’ve made dresses before and want to extra tips and improve your techniques
You’ve attended a dressmaking class and want a resource to reference at home
You're hooked on sewing and fancy taking a class for inspiration and fun!
MEET YOUR INSTRUCTOR
Tilly Walnes is a best-selling sewing author, teacher and founder of Tilly and the Buttons. She has been writing about sewing, designing and teaching for over a decade.
Named 'Most Inspirational Sewing Personality' in the British Sewing Awards, Tilly’s teaching is down-to-earth, encouraging and packed full of helpful tips. She loves sewing, and wants you to love it too!
Tilly and the Buttons always make lovely, easy to follow instructions, but I think that I may have been stuck in a few places if it hadn't been for the online workshops. It really helped, me to learn new skills.
I have taken every workshop and I find them so helpful and easy to understand. This was no exception. My dress turned out beautifully, and I learned so much on the way. I'm not an advanced seamstress, but with this workshop I made an advanced dress - that I feel stunning in.