GET INSPIRED #SewingSkye
Loved making this dress. Liberty Arley Gardens pink fabric which is a strong cotton and had no need for facings so the ideal sun dress material- making it easy to maintain the shape of straps and square collar without stay stitching or tape. The dress size was a little on the generous side and required streaming under the arms of the bodice and the skirt width could be reduced for a more shapely fitting. Very pleased with the finished article and found the pattern and instructions easy to follow, loved the paper pattern rather than flimsy pattern pieces which so easily tear. The from waist to bust darts were an attractive feature and wondered if the addition of pin tucks from the neck down to join the bust darts would add to the shaping. Will make another dress with some hacks suggested on Tilly and Buttons blog and as I have said with pin tucks possibly reducing the very deep arm hole or using the pattern to make a pinafore version to be worn with a t shirt.
Thank you so much for your kind words about the quality of our paper patterns. And we can't wait to see all the hacks you make with Skye including pin tucks!! x
Such a simple dress to make, so pretty and comfortable to wear. I don’t know how long it took to make my first one, but I cut out and completed dress two in an afternoon.
Woo hoo! Love reading how quickly customers are sewing up their Skye sundresses. It's a Skye summer for sure. Thank you x
The ordering process was easy and the pattern arrived quickly. I was impressed by the pattern being on good quality paper and a very well written and illustrated booklet of instructions. The sizing was very accurate.I am delighted with the dress that I have made.
Thank you for your lovely words Kathleen. It's pleasing to hear that the ordering process went smoothly and you've enjoyed the experience of making your own Skye sundress. Team Buttons x
I really like all Tilly and the Buttons sewing patterns, the paper format is so well presented with easy to follow sewing instructions which are in colour as well!
I made 2 x Skye Sundresses using a broderie anglaise fabric and, using Dylon, divided the fabric in two, changed one fabric piece to a light lilac and the other to a dark grey. Very pleased with the outcome as I now have 2 sundresses which are so easy to wear and ideal for this super hot weather we’re having. Not keen on showing my legs so opted for the mid length!
I’m going to make another dress as I have some linen fabric left over from a previous sewing project.
Oh wow Barber your Skye dresses are beautiful. What a great idea to dye the fabric to get different versions of the same dress. Thank you SEW much for your kind words about our sewing patterns. Team Buttons x
I'm not a great sewist. It took me a while to decide on the size as I usually like things oversized. I found the pleats in the front quite tricky to work out and I've never successfully used bias binding on a neckline (lumpy and bumpy), but all the problems were my own lack of experience. The end product is lovely and floaty with a well fitting bodice. I would have liked to line the bodice for a neater finish but don't think I'm at that stage yet. I will make another one.
So pleased you're happy with your Skye sundress and yay to making another. As they say 'practice makes perfect'. We have a great blog with video tutorial all about sewing bias binding which you might find helpful https://www.tillyandthebuttons.com/2021/07/how-to-sew-bias-binding-video-tutorial.html. Team Buttons x