TAKE YOUR SKILLS TO THE NEXT LEVEL
Learn to make an impressive button-down shirt and dress.
This isn’t just the theory – you’ll learn as you sew while sewing a stunning button-down shirt or shirt dress from scratch. Perfect for enthusiastic DIY dressmakers who want to improve their sewing, the lessons will take you step-by-step through the techniques involved in making a shirt,
The Rosa Shirt pattern is included with this workshop.
• Sewing machine
• Sewing toolkit – a supplies list is included in the workshop
• Fabric and supplies for your Rosa shirt – listed here if you want to get a head start
• Computer / tablet / smart phone and an internet connection to stream the videos from
That’s up to you!
The course is broken down into manageable, bitesize lessons that you can take at a pace that suits you. It includes 13 videos, from 4 to 25 minutes long, plus extra written tuition and downloadable resources.
You may like to spread the lessons out over a few evenings or set aside a weekend for a binge sewing session.
This online workshop contains fully captioned video lessons, written tuition and downloadable resourses.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN
HOW TO CONSTRUCT A SHIRT
- Step-by-step lessons on making a stunning fitted shirt from start to finish
- Guidance on choosing your size and getting a bespoke fit for your shape
- Marking, cutting and stabilising your fabric
- Sew a flattering princess seamed bodice
- Create a stunning pointed back yoke – find out how to ease together the curves and create a neat corner
- Choose from shirt or dress length hems, with optional pointed pockets
MAKE A NEAT TWO-PIECE COLLAR
- Learn to construct an impressive two-piece collar and stand
- Tips to stitch, fold and press a perfect point on a sharp corner
- Get tips on attaching a collar to a bodice – including how to keep everything lined up accurately
STITCH BUTTONHOLES WITH CONFIDENCE
- Learn to sew both one-step and four-step buttonholes
- How to mark button positions accurately
- Tips for sewing on buttons
ATTACH SHIRT SLEEVES
- Learn the flat insertion method for shirt sleeves
- Create shaping at the shoulder with ease stitching
- Create casual turn-up cuffs and narrow sleeve tabs
- Bonus - how to sew full length sleeves with cuffs
SEW STUNNING SEAM FINISHES
- Create mock felled seams for strong and tidy insides
- Make a feature out of contrast topstitching
- Avoid thread clumps and skipped stitches with our top tips
Follow an in-depth programme, structured with our trusted format.
See the sewing in detail with our video lessons!
Learn at a pace that suits you, any time of day, with no deadlines.
Set your own timetable!
LEARN AT HOME
Take the workshop from the comfort of your own home, using your own sewing machine.
There's no need to travel to a class or book a date in your busy diary!
Revisit the lessons as often as you like, whenever you need a refresher -
for a fraction of the price of attending a face-to-face class!
WHO IS THIS WORKSHOP FOR?
You’ve sewn a few things already and you're eager to learn new skills
You're comfortable sewing clothes and want some guidance on making your first shirt or shirt dress
You’ve made shirts before and want to extra tips and improve your techniques in one handy resource
You're hooked on sewing and fancy taking a class for inspiration and fun!
MEET YOUR INSTRUCTOR
Tilly Walnes is a best-selling sewing author, teacher and founder of Tilly and the Buttons. She has been writing about sewing, designing and teaching for over a decade.
Named 'Most Inspirational Sewing Personality' in the British Sewing Awards, Tilly’s teaching is down-to-earth, encouraging and packed full of helpful tips. She loves sewing, and wants you to love it too!
This was my first shirt and it made a real difference having a video to follow and ability to re-watch the parts that I found tricky. Tilly's explanations were very clear and made it a simple pattern to follow for a shirt novice - especially with the collar, which I was a little apprehensive about, but no unpicking was needed!
The workshop was so helpful, every video, photo and instruction was clear and well explained. Tilly is so calm and reassuring, it's great to be able to watch the videos at your own pace and see exactly how to do each step. Using this workshop has meant my Rosa dress came out absolutely perfect first time, even those tricky bits that look really impressive!
I love my Rosa shirt SO much! Tilly and the Buttons always make lovely, easy to follow instructions, but I think that I may have been stuck in a few places if it hadn't been for the online workshop - I feel like it really helped, especially to learn new skills